Classical tutoring defined:
Private instruction given to a student by a highly skilled teacher focused solely on helping the student build a strong, broad academic base from which to build a habit of excellent life-long learning. These tutors often used the proven Enlightenment techniques of the Trivium and Quadrivium. In days of yore, only the extremely wealthy could afford this best of educations. Today, Christ Church college, part of Oxford University in England, still uses this 1:1 student:tutor method with famous results.
Christ Church says of its tutorial system,
It is an academic partnership that is both personal and demanding. Through it you should learn to think independently and critically, to form, express and, when necessary, revise or defend your own views, and never to be content with a superficial understanding.
The benefits for your student:
1. Undivided Attention – from a passionate, creative, patient teacher.
2. Tailored Curriculum – to meet the student’s and parents’ needs and interests.
3. Personal Pacing – to maintain your progress and active involvement.
4. Faster Progress – and increased momentum gained toward a love of life-long learning.
5. Advanced Skills – that classroom teachers would love to teach, but often can’t because they must “teach to the middle”.
6. Deep Insights – into the subject matter because little time is wasted on classroom management.
Using technology (Skype or Google Talk). this type of private tutoring relationship is now affordable and practical to deliver to families like yours.
Will this work for your student?
Yes, if your student is:
- Between the ages of 7 and 18.
- Without major special educational needs – I am not trained to offer services for students with these exceptional needs.
- Homeschooled and looking for challenge beyond what parents have time or energy to offer themselves.
- In public or private school but seeking more challenge, support, and/or enrichment.
How much does it cost?
Contact us if you’d like to discuss the possibilities for your student.